Thursday, June 12, 2003

Strange things afoot at the Circle-K!!! *laugh* (or at least near where the Circle-K might be, if they had them in Egypt)

After my guitar lesson, I had some time before Arabic, wanted to eat, and didn’t feel like going home. So I went straight to this good pancake place near my tutor’s house. The good news – I had pancakes. The bad news – no syrup! *frown* Just honey, but that was ok I guess.

Then there was the battle of me trying to think of the word for “butter” to have some on the croissant I bought. That was a difficult task! (it’s “zibeda”)

But what I saw just after I left made it all worthwhile.

Typically in Cairo, you see dogs and cats roaming the streets. They’re looking for scraps of food and sometimes you’ll see cats begging at restaurants.

Well, today, I saw 2 chicks begging for food! *laugh*

Really, 2 baby chickens. I kid you not.

They might have been begging, but more likely the guys who were eating outside this restaurant had the chicks with them. In either event, it was pretty strange. I gave an odd look to one of the guys and he just smiled as if nothing was out of the ordinary…

This was my last “regular” Arabic lesson with my tutor before I leave for Tanta. That was kinda sad, but I’ll still see her and the family sometimes when I come down to visit.

After class, I started back home b/c my South African visitors are coming back tonight as they return home from Algeria. I had a bit of time, so I went to my usual coffee place which I haven’t been to in a couple of weeks!

How things can change! The really friendly waiter was gone and I didn’t recognize any of the customers!! Bizarre. So, I didn’t stick around very long.

I left the place and started walking home, when I _did_ recognize someone on the street! It was one of my Egyptian students from my teacher-training course! Hany is a really friendly guy and I think genuinely happy to see me. He was going shopping nearby, so he invited me to join him. Of course, it turns out he was shopping for underwear! *laugh*

We chatted a bit about what he’s been up to and he might be a really good connection to have. On Saturday, he is interviewing at one of the hotels in the Sinai. It would be nice to know him and stay there for a good rate if I visit. We exchanged mobile numbers, and he promised to let me know how things worked out.

Waiting for Scott and Willie to call. I’m a bit concerned since their flight should have gotten in 1 hour ago.

No comments: