Friday, June 13, 2003

Friday the 13th!

Jason…Jason…Jason… *laugh*

(sorry, bad reference to the horrible movies that I couldn’t resist making! *grin*)

It’s been a busy day! Last night, my South African visitors arrived back in Cairo. They were due to be in a bit after 10pm and instead turned up at my door just before I was heading to bed at 2am!

Such stories to tell! On the way from one part of Algeria to another, they had to make an emergency landing in their airplane! Crazy! Coming back to Cairo, their flight was much safer, but it was delayed in Algeria for several hours due to some sort of mechanical problem.

We chatted a bit, but then got to sleep quickly b/c we wanted to go to church this morning.

And we did…9:30am and we were there! After that, we met up with Carmen (another MCC volunteer) and Jennifer (the cousin of a volunteer) to go visit the SAT7, big Christian satellite station in Egypt that broadcasts all over the Middle East. Willie and Scott knew people who were involved in other countries and wanted to see the facilities here. I’m really glad we did. It was quite interesting and a very professional set-up. I’m not sure who their fund-raising staff is, but they’re really good.

There are very professional-looking studios, high-quality soundproofing, and top-of-the-line editing equipment in the offices. Plus, they have a mobile studio in a van! The price tag on that is 1 million Egyptian Pounds (probably about $300,000 at the time they bought it)

Guess what? I ran into someone I knew while touring SAT7! *smirk* Yes, I’m sure that people are shocked by that!

Nancy, one of the childcare workers from when we were on our MCC retreat in Alexandria was also on a tour of SAT7! *laugh* Fun to see her and chat a bit!

After the tour, we went back to the cave church and garbage city that Darren and I had already visited. It was quite near to SAT7 and we thought it would be a good thing for the visitors to see.

We had a good time there and then had a really nice cab driver on the way back. He’s also going to come to my place at 2am to pick up Willie and Scott for the airport.

For dinner, we got sandwiches as take-out and then came back to my flat for the sandwiches, some fruit, and then ice cream for dessert. Scott picked up my Island of Dr. Moreau book, so he’s trying to finish that before he leaves!

After lifting weights tomorrow, I need to make a salad for dinner tomorrow night. Any suggestions? I’m thinking lettuce, tomato, and pasta. What sort of dressing/seasonings should I use?

No comments: