Sunday, June 08, 2003

Friday, I heard a very appropriate use of the phrase “al hamdula Allah” (praise be to God). This phrase is used often in everyday conversation, but this was coming from an older woman after she was struck by a taxi cab.

I was waiting for the bus I take to Frisbee and this woman waved at a bus and then started jogging to catch it. Well, apparently a taxi thought she wanted him to stop for her, so he swerved in and hit her! Fortunately, he was going slowly by this point, but still fast enough to send her up in the air a bit and then back down on her backside. She slid along the side of the cab and exclaimed “al hamdula Allah” once she realized that she was ok! Scary…

Yikes! So long since I’ve worked on a solid entry like this! I guess that’s kinda good b/c it means that I’ve been staying quite busy.

On Friday night, I saw a good musical performance -- guitar, bass, violin, african drums, oud, something called the tablau, and a piano. They called it "Andalusian Music". I enjoyed it and so did the rest of the crowd.

Earlier on Friday, I enjoyed a good church service and then played Frisbee. Saturday’s highlights consisted of lifting weights and going to my Arabic tutorial.

So far today, I’ve gone grocery shopping with my friend Mike and then learned how he makes his really tasty spaghetti sauce. Now I’m back for a bit of studying this afternoon and a nap before church tonight.

The countdown is on, as I near my June 16th move to Tanta. I’m getting nervous about both the move and my teaching. It’s all becoming real now! No more of this time of relaxation, taking classes, learning about Egypt, and just enjoying myself. I need to start earning my keep!

As I was getting ready to type, a helicopter flew overhead a few times. It was quite close – must be something going on with President Mubarak today. I live just a few blocks from the palaces/offices.

Anyone want to join me in Egypt? In a magazine today, I saw an ad for a “speechwriter/editor” for the Korean Embassy in Cairo. *smirk* Perfect for those of you with political science, economics, or English degrees!!!

For your reading pleasure, 2 unrelated links:

Sri Lanka on verge of aid billions -- I have a friend here from Sri Lanka and also my friend Suren back in Michigan, so this is important to me.

Young Japanese becoming "freeters" (only working part-time jobs and taking time to enjoy their lives more than the previous generation)

No comments: