Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Something I've learned

It dawned on me today that one of the things I've learned in Egypt is to appreciate people in "the service industry".

Every day, I interact with guys where I teach who work hard cleaning, making tea, etc. for very little money.

I also see guys sweating it out at restaurants all day, serving food, cleaning up, and all that. These guys are always smiling and people usually seem very thankful for what they do. I think people tend to be "regulars" at places far more here than in the US, so it pays to build a relationship. Or maybe it's just that everywhere I go is small, so servers are bound to remember people if they come in on a regular basis.

Today I thought of this b/c one of my local cafes recently added an oven and now serves up my favorite Egyptian food, fatir!

That pic is from "Boots in the Oven" which also includes a ton of other great shots from Egypt,. (DSL or faster only -- very heavy on the pics).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When dealing with customer service people in stores, I always try to be polite and courteous, having a smile in my voice and wishing them a good day. They work hard for comparatively little pay, so I figure making their day a bit nicer (or at least not being a customer that causes stress) is one way for me to compensate.

I really appreciated the service I got at various places in BG. No matter where I went the employees went out of their way to help me out. I was even remembered from week to week at the Euchre games at Grumpy Dave's. :) I was also stunned to find that even the local Meijer had good service, which seems to be lacking in the Michigan stores.