Saturday, September 23, 2006

'Twas the Night Before Ramadan

While walking around tonight, I got a spark of inspiration to write a parody of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas" inspired by the preparations for Ramadan. However, I don't think I can come up with enough material right now for the whole thing, so all you're getting is my reflections.

It does feel like the night before Christmas, in that frantic shopping sort of way. Since Ramadan begins on Sunday (so I've been told), I decided that I should stock up on some food so that I can have breakfast and lunch in my apartment. So, after a celebration to give certificates to our students from the Summer English Classes, I hit the streets.

I was not alone.

Not even close!

The streets around the main market area in town for things like fruits, basic foods, and dried fruits (raisins, dates, and apricots are consumed in mass quantities during Ramadan) were just packed! It would have been alright with just foot traffic, but when you toss in cars trying to go both directions, scooters, bicycles, and the occasional horse-drawn cart, it was pretty crazy!

I managed to get a kilo of raisins to munch on, some bread, and a chocolate-covered sweet for in the morning. Oh, I also bought a kilo of honey from a guy who has a bee/honey farm not far from Tanta. Hey, I'm doing what I can to support the local farmer!

Now, I'll probably stay up for a few hours to relax and listen to what's happening on the streets. It's quiet now, so I'm guessing that maybe people are napping and then will wake up a bit before early morning prayers to have one last big meal before the Holy Month of fasting begins.

So many things change because of Ramadan. I'll try to think about some of them and write a good description later.

No comments: