Friday, September 29, 2006

Bees!

I was reminded today that I don't like bees. Okay, maybe a few of them are OK but at my local bakery/sweet shop, there was a swarm around some of the trays. Bees were...well, making a "bee line" (can't believe I actually used that expression almost in context) to the really sweet items and using the aisle to get there.

My choice was to be in the aisle where the bees were flying, or standing outside in the sun. Not good choices. It was 1.30pm and we seem to be having a mini-heat wave, so the breeze feels like when you open up your oven! Anyway, I chose the sun b/c that was only temporary discomfort. Making the bees angry could resulted in a pain that lingered.

I was able to keep my nervousness in check b/c I was aware of it. I just tried to be aware of where the bees were, what they were doing, and how I was reacting.

I'm not sure if this is a "normal reaction" (not that a situation comes up in everyday life very often), of if I'm overly-sensitive.

You see, as a young child I used to walk barefoot through our yard to get the mail. One summer I got stung by bees several times in a short period of time. I guess the doctor then declared me "allergic". I'm not sure if I've gotten stung since then, so I don't know what kind of reaction I would have. Hmmm...maybe I should have an allergy test done at the doctor when I get back from the US to check for this and other things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, you remember the bee story. I'm not sure about the allergy, but the doc said that if you had gotten stung again that same summer you would probably end up in the hosp. You did swell up, after the 3rd or 4th sting, had to elevate you leg, as I remember. Didn't think you would remember that episode.