Sunday, July 02, 2006

Crazy last couple of days!

Well, I've moved! Please congratulate me via email. (that gives you a reason to write to me) *grin* I had a fun Saturday morning with my students at a retreat center just outside Tanta. We made it a short day b/c of the extreme heat, but that was probably good b/c it left me time/energy to pack and move things. I worked on that little project from about 1-6pm, then took a break to watch the Germany/Argentina soccer match.

What a match! I wouldn't say it was great b/c things got a bit sloppy for awhile there, but it was good to watch. Nice to see that the home team continues to win!

After that, I returned to packing and kept at it until 10.30 when my friend Fady came to help me carry things. We took 2 car-loads to my temporary apartment (which Fady's family owns). Now you're probably asking yourself “how did Jason accumulate that much stuff while in Egypt and how is he going to get it home?”

Now that's a fair question.

The answer is that most of what we took in the car is not mine and will not be going to the U.S. I'm talking about towels, plants, office supplies, etc. There were things that I need to have with me for the next few weeks but I won't take back in December. At the moment, most of what I want to take back fits in my suitcase and big backpack. I say “most” b/c Fady has volunteered to carry some items back this summer when he goes to the States and leave them with a friend in Chicago for me to retrieve later. I figure I can fill ½ of a suitcase and give him a carry-on without feeling like I'm asking too much.

Of course...I continue to get more stuff that I want to take back. (keep reading for details)

It was 2am by the time we finished everything, so I slept in and then hurried around to make it to Cairo for the Independence Day Party. First, I met with some friends at their apartment near the party location and then we all walked over together. This was all in Maadi, the really American suburb of Cairo. Lots of U.S. govt employees live there, highly-paid oil company people, etc.

Fun party! Tons of free food, including cans of Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Fanta Apple from the Coca-Cola Corporation and slices of pizza from Pizza Hut. Sadly, the ice cream ran out early. So I can't say good things about the company who provided it. In fact, I won't even tell you the name. But I will say that it's a company that advertises having more than 30 but less than 32 flavors. *smirk* They also had burgers and hot dogs (even some with pork!).

Face-painting for kids, slides, games, etc and Bingo, Bingo, and more Bingo for everyone to play. They gave small prizes for the Bingo winners (but I didn't get anything) and bigger stuff in a free raffle. Prizes ranged from T-shirts to round-trip tickets to the U.S. from KLM. Can you guess what I won?

(I'll give you a hint, it's size Medium and says Hard Rock Cafe on it)

In addition to that, I got a free T-shirt from a travel company and a Coke water bottle for shaking my hips. There was a Hawaiian theme to the party (insert obligatory joke here) and that included a short dance lesson for those who were willing. It gave me the opportunity to put on a grass skirt (comfortable) and a clam-shell bra (too restrictive), so I was all for it!

The weather was hot, so they had big fans with mist machines to cool down the crowd. The whole party was outside under a huge tent and then smaller tents were outside of that with tables for the sponsors and additional misting areas to walk through.

I'm really glad I went. Fun to see my friends and also to see tons of Americans in 1 place. Yes, there was lots of security around! There was 1 fully veiled woman pushing a stroller around and that was definitely the exception to how people looked. Lots of people in shorts and baseball hats (including me). I kinda wish I had gone in previous years, but at least I got to attend once in my time here.

Got back to Tanta around midnight, then went out with Fady to a cafe for lemonade. Nice to help me cool down. Got cleaned up, now emailing before bed (though I won't post until later)

Missed the Brazil/France match b/c I was on my way back to Tanta. I arrived at a cafe' just as the match ended! *sigh*

More soon about where I'm staying – it's a beautiful place!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you too were celebrating 4th of July. Our big get together was Sat. Hot, fun in the lake, good food, and spectacular fireworks out over the lake. You had American food, right? Burgers, cokes, wow.

Mom