Thursday, April 17, 2003

I’m a putz. I had plenty of time to study my Arabic today, but I didn’t do it! *shakes head*

Instead, I read more in “The Count of Monte Cristo”. What a great adventure/mystery. I highly recommend it.

But now it’s story time for me. To tell a story, that is. This is the story of my new #2 “Small World” experience. It’ll make more sense to the Albion crew, but should be ok for everyone.

Let me start out by saying that I went to Albion College from 1993-97 and each year, there were 1,500 students on campus.

So…

I’m at my teaching class on Monday evening. We were there late b/c it was the evening when we observed some “real” teachers doing their stuff. We watched 2 classes and at the break between the 2, I was waiting to get a cup of tea…

My friend Mark and I were standing there and I say to him,

“Wow, that woman over there looks really familiar, but not from here – I think I know her from somewhere else.”

Mark gave me the typical, “oh…she just has one of those faces” responses, but I’ve had enough coincidences in my life, so I don’t accept that.

So, I went over to talk with her…

We started chatting about where she was from and she that she was American and that she had been living by Detroit (Plymouth) until that last year.

“Yeah, but that’s not it – tell me more”, I said.

Her response?

“Well, I went to Albion College…”

*jaw drops*

It turns out she graduated in 1995 and was in the choir. Her name was Heather Berlin. Anyone remember her?

She’s been working here for about a year or so and is taking Arabic classes where I am doing my teacher training course. *laugh*

What are the odds?

Well, I have a pizza on the way, so I should go.

No comments: