Monday, March 25, 2002

Friday = "In the Bedroom" (movie review to follow later)
Saturday = Amber and Marshall's wedding
Sunday = early wake-up to do work stuff

You know it's a small, informal wedding when you go as a guest and end up as a participant... *laugh*
Yup -- I arrived at the chapel as the date of the Maid of Honor (Stephanie looked fantastic in her dress) and ended up with my own small role in the wedding. *smirk*

First, they asked if I would light the candles at the front of the chapel. No problem, fire is good. Turns out that meant I would be the first person walking into the chapel with guests watching.

The second task they asked me about was unrolling the paper for the bride to walk across on the way down the aisle. Not a problem...squat down, calmly move the roll, everybody's happy.

Finally, they asked me to walk the mother of the bride down the aisle!!! Mind you, I just met the woman that afternoon!

Essentially, my thought at times like these is "well, I'd rather be useful than to just be standing around".
Everything went well. No massive fire from the candles and I didn't trip the mother of the bride as she was walking. The roll of paper wasn't long enough to come all the way down the aisle, but that was the only small complication.

The family also asked me to videotape the ceremony, but fortunately they found someone else b/c it would have been tough to do that while also taking care of the other little things.

After all that?

I got to ride in the limo and drink a beer. (purchased by the groom) *grin*

The reception was fun, with much eating and dancing. Due in part to the fact that I helped out at the wedding, I was asked to join the head table. I didn't know anyone there, except Stephanie, so it was good. The bride was eager to taste the meatballs. The groom was just glad to have the ceremony over and couldn't wait to go gambling. She got her wish right away, but he has to wait until later this week.

Dinner, toasts, speech, laughter, dancing, and lots of chatting followed. Everyone was there for a good time and both families were filled with fun, easy-going people.

There are a few constants at wedding receptions. One is cake, another is the Macarena, a third is the throwing of the garter and bouquet.

(Can anyone see where this story is going?)

As you may have guessed...Stephanie caught the bouquet.

I caught the garter.

We had little choice in the matter. Amber (the bride) dropped a fairly strong hint that she was going to make the toss in Stephanie's direction. I say again, this was the bride, and it's not good to cross a bride on her wedding day.

Marshall (the groom) did his best Babe Ruth imitation when the single men (only 2 of us) walked up. He checked the wind direction, compensated for the gusts, and pointed. It was a screaming line-drive right to me!

Stephanie and I make a great couple, so who can blame Amber and Marshall (plus the D.J.) for having a little fun with us?

No comments: