Saturday, March 08, 2003

I finally discovered a coffee shop that's just a short walk from the flat, so I went over tonight. The worker-guy who greeted me when I walked in found me someone to play with and 2 guys taught me how to play a game they call "31". That's the score that finishes the game. You play all the way through 1 time and then if the loser has 4 disks left, then the winner gets 4 points. If the loser has 8 points, then it's 8 points, and so on. These guys play so fast! They just know where the different rolls will get you and they definitely have strategy in mind, too.

My dad taught me to play Backgammon as a child, so I was thinking about him while I was playing… Hi Dad! (I know you’ll read this at some point *smile*)

That made for a good evening, following some time at a church for singing, bible study, and chatting. This church is interesting b/c it mostly Egyptians who want to worship in English. Very nice people and good services so far.

I was a bit down on myself this afternoon.

I started thinking negatively about how it seems like I'm wasting a lot of time and not really "doing" much here right now. This afternoon, I almost went to a place called the Citadel and some museums that are there. But I was going to do it b/c I felt that I should and not b/c I really wanted to. At some point, that can be a necessary reason for doing things, but it just felt like forcing it today. So I swore that I'd go on on Sunday.

But I probably won't. Still feeling the same way about it. I hopefully can motivate myself to study Arabic for awhile.

So I guess the extent of my adventures today was going to the coffee shop. Fortunately, I'm okay with that right now. Let's see how I feel tomorrow. *smirk* It's all about little victories, I suppose. It's easy to use energy with negative thoughts, so I'm trying to practice thinking positively, instead.

No comments: