Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Happy New Year!

Islamic New Year, that is. Today is the first day of the new year, so major offices were closed
and I didn't have my Arabic class. That gave me time to finish "The Hobbit" and start on "Fellowship
of the Ring". Such good books!

I also stopped over at the British Community Association "clubhouse" to check out the scene there.
It's a mostly British club that has a membership fee or per visit guest fee, but they have some fun
events and facilities. There's a dartboard, billiards table, TV, and random people to chat with. I
found out about it from their magazine and also from someone suggesting that we meet there before
maybe going to a concert. So, I wanted to figure out how to get there.

They also have the occasional movie night. Coming up is "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and they just
showed the first 2 Lord of the Rings movies.

It's not really my scene, but maybe I'll go as a guest every so often with people. I guess they
have fish and chips on Thursday nights, so that might be nice sometime! *laugh* It's only 200LE
to join for the year, which isn't really that much. But then there's food/beverage on top of that.
Plus, since I'll only be in Cairo for 3-4 months, it makes sense to instead pay 5LE as a guest each
time I stop by.

I haven't gone back to that coffee shop to play games and see the group of guys I met. I thought
about going on Monday after my Arabic tutorial, but I was exhausted from studying.

I'm having trouble with getting motivated to go out in the evenings. Beyond that, I'm feeling good
but my lack of energy worries me a bit. I feel like I should be going out more, trying to meet
foreigners or Egyptians, and just going, going, going. But sometimes, I just can't do it. My
health is fine, though I'm not getting much energy beyond walking. I guess some people want to
start playing Ultimate Frisbee, so I'm definitely eager to play again!

While walking around today, I did some window shopping at computer stores. Cheap prices!! I could
get a fairly decent system put together, plus a monitor for $400-500. But I have my laptop, so I
don't need to do that. So why was I looking? Mostly b/c I was curious. While getting ready to
come here, I debated buying this laptop and I got it for convenience, mostly. I knew that I
could have a desktop computer built here for cheaper, but then it would need to be on a desk, etc
so I think I'm glad that I went with the laptop.

We're also looking at me helping out some local churches or organizations with their webpages in
the short term. But that won't come together for at least a few weeks.

I just have this week and next week left with my structured Arabic classes. After that, I am hoping
to start with my CELTA teaching-certification course. If that comes through, I will be really busy
from mid-March through mid-April. But if the class isn't offered, then I need to get some informal
training, but that would also give me more time available for other things.

As it's been all the way through the process, there are lots and lots of "maybes" floating around!
Thank God, I've been granted the patience and openness just to go with the flow and let things work
out as they are intended.

Tanta is still our thought for my assignment, but now we also might have a city called Benni-Swayf as
an option. That's a remote one, though. But, it works out that my CR, Craig, is going to visit
Benni-Swayf next Tuesday and I will be joining him. It will give me a chance to see Upper Egypt.
That's the area south of Cairo and we will be on the train about 2 1/2 hours to get there.

It also looks like most of the MCC group from Cairo will be going to Alexandria to hear a speaker
on Saturday. But that's still to be determined, as well.

It seems like planning here either happens week/months ahead of time, or it doesn't happen at all and
things just come up at the last minute. But that's ok.

Wishing you all a peaceful day,

-Jason

No comments: