Monday, June 19, 2006

First full day back in Tanta

Back in Tanta. Met with my students for a welcome back/refresher class yesterday and then we'll get back to classes as usual on Tuesday. Last night I watched the 2nd half of the Brazil match and most of the France/S. Korea match. Exciting stuff!

I really need to keep better track of the schedule. If one of my students hadn't left class early to watch Brazil play, I wouldn't have known about it! *laugh*

Today, I've been sorting things out in my apartment. I have to move at the end of the month, so I'm taking the time to throw out old papers and things that I don't need. I'd do this before leaving Egypt in December anyway, so it's better to do it now and not move it with me to my new place.

Not quite sure where that's going to be... *smirk* At present, my new place will be available on July 20, so there's a gap of 3 weeks when I'm not sure where I'll be living. That's my mission for this week – talk with friends and see what options are for staying with them or possibly in an empty flat for that short time. Crazy!

I bought a bunch of fruit yesterday. The grape season started while I was gone, plus a new crop of bananas. I ate lots of yummy stuff in Israel and Palestine, but not much fruit. I wanted to try things that were different from what I could get in Egypt, so fruit wasn't on that list!

The main thing I discovered was the wonder of Jewish bakeries. *grin* Oh, my goodness!!! The first day I paid full price in the morning for sweets, but then I discovered that at the end of the day (around 9pm), prices are slashed in half and everything is still really fresh. Full price for 1 kilogram was about $5 which was worth it for the great stuff, but $2.50 was even better for the day-old goodies!

Tonight, I'm hoping to see some friends to catch up on things and watch whatever matches are on. Yup, it's a football-crazy place!



No comments: