Saturday, May 24, 2003

Music suggestions from my friend Mel. She's always good for non-mainstream music ideas.

“Old School Freight Train (www.osft.net) The first time we saw them, they did a cover of "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder...VERY cool.

We also saw Mike Doughty (www.superspecialrock.com), who is Mr. Do-It-Yourself-er. He was the front man for a band called Soul Coughing until about 4 years ago, but now it's just him and his guitar on stage. Pretty cool guy.”

Both sites have MP3s to download, if you’re patient…

I still have Pink in heavy rotation on my computer. I think I’m going to keep listening to the tracks I have until I get really sick of them.

At some point, I’ll need to borrow some CDs from people to rip to MP3.

Or maybe I’ll download some MP3s, but it’s so slooooooowwwww over a phoneline connection.

But there might be some hope for that situation. One of the other MCC volunteers (Mike) teaches at a Catholic Seminary here in Cairo. They get lots of money from the U.S. and have really nice facilities like decent computers and a (somewhat) fast Internet connection. (ISDN, for those techies out there)

I might go over there sometime and “borrow” their connection to upload photos and download some music. *grin*

Mike is also going to put me in contact with their computer/networking guy so that I can talk wireless networking with him. I think it would be a nice thing if they had a little wireless network connection set up. (I could also use that when I come to Cairo for visits *grin*)

I’m pricing the hardware at one of the computer stores in my neighborhood, just to get an idea of what it would cost. Looks like about $80 for cards and $160 for the access point. Not sure how that is compared to in the U.S.

No comments: