Friday, May 02, 2003

I stand corrected…yesterday’s celebration was for the liberation of Sierra Leon, not Liberia. My apologies to all those reading this from those countries. *grin*

But the party was good. Quite lively. We arrived a bit after 11pm and things were just getting started. It turns out that one of my friends Charlie is going home to the U.K. today, so it was a bit of a send-off for her. The dancing was good, with an interesting mix of music. Lots of American R&B/rap but also some Ethiopian, Sudanese, and other assorted African music.

Plus, a healthy dose of Bob Marley. What’s a party without some heavily-politicized Reggae to dance to??? *smile*

So last night, there were 5 of us Westerners in a crowd of around 200 Africans, mostly men. Would I ever feel comfortable in a setting like that in the U.S.?? Not likely. But here, it’s totally natural and fine.

We were there until about…2am I guess and things were still going strong. I think people were probably there until dawn. The location was the top floor of a decent hotel downtown and the view was really nice!

I got up blurry-eyed for church this morning, then came back home for a quick nap. Well, that’s what I intended, but I woke up 3 ½ hours later! Oops!

Off to Frisbee at that point. Fun to play but my left knee always hurts and creaks for about 24 hours. *sigh* Am I starting to get old?

Then, we went over to Annie and Charlie’s to borrow some CD’s for Darren and say goodbye to Charlie. Darren is trying to get lots of Arabic music around to take home with him. So I’m converting the songs to MP3 right now and then I’ll burn them to a CD for him.

In exchange, I’m going to give Annie the complete 3rd Season of South Park. *laugh* Thanks to David for providing me with those! I forgot I had them and then Darren found them on my computer yesterday. We watched the one about the “Sexual Harassment Panda”. So silly!

But it’s a quiet night here. Darren’s reading and we’re both digesting the pizza we had for dinner.

No comments: