Monday, March 17, 2003

It's Monday night and in some ways, it feels like the end of a week b/c I don't have class on Tuesday, so there's a bit of a break. But it also feels like mid-week b/c it feels like the week started on Saturday, since I've had the 3 days of class. Very weird.

Today was the first time for all of us to be on our own, teaching students. We had a 25 minute block of time. Everyone was nervous, even the people who have been teaching. Some of the people in my group have been teaching for 6 years or more and are just now getting this certification. You can definitely see a difference when the experienced people are up there.

I did ok. For what we wanted to accomplish, 25 minutes seemed like not much time at all! I felt really rushed and then I started talking too fast and then some of the class got a bit lost. I also had a bit of difficulty with explaining some directions on an exercise I was having the class do. Hopefully I'll learn from it and improve the next time I teach.

The class was big today (and will be from now on), but the room was small. We ended up with 15 students, 1 teacher, and 5 observers in the classroom. That was a lot! Some of the students came in late, so we ended up pulling in desks from other classrooms so that they could all fit. One of the techniques we were shown and talked about for monitoring was to walk behind the students and look over their shoulder as they are writing. Sounds good, right? Yeah, except that it was physically impossible to get behind the students in this room! *grin* So we were stuck at the front of the room.

The students are all in the "adult learner" category, I guess. We talked about birthdays today and a few students were born in 1978, while 1 was born in 1983. Mostly university-aged students and a few people into their 30s.

Ah well!

I guess Dad has a computer now and will probably be online soon. Cool.

I've been getting my exercise and walking lately. It's about a 25 minute walk each way at a decent pace for my teaching class. Even if I took a tram, by the time I waited for it and then rode, it would be almost the same amount of time. But this evening, I did wait a few minutes and then got on one. I mostly just wanted to see how long it would take me and if it was worth it. I'll ride sometimes, but will probably walk most times.

No comments: