Thursday, June 19, 2008

Housing prices... *sigh*

So I'm realizing that my condo purchase may have been a mistake for various reasons. Until recently, I'd seen that prices in my building were holding steady but then this morning I came across a listing for a unit that's very similar to mine, but for $25,000 less than what I paid. *frown* I also have high condo fees, so if I had looked more carefully at things in the beginning I would have seen how bad that was. If I had waited last summer, rented for a bit, and then done my shopping/buying now I could have gotten a really good house in a better location for a nicer price.

I'm a bit sad about this now. I like my place and the redeeming quality is that there are few places in the country where I could get a cool-looking place for the price that I did... Here's hoping that we can improve things and increase values over the next few years!

Even if nobody is reading this, at least I got to vent...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have a nice condo - it has great character! And the housing market will flip again at some point, so don't get too discouraged.

David said...

To be fair, you (hopefully) bought the house for the long haul. I think we can all expect some rough times ahead, but in the end, would living somewhere you didn't own have been as pleasant? And isn't quality of life what it's all about anyway?

Anonymous said...

What complex did you buy at in Manchester? I'm in the middle of a house hunt myself.

Anonymous said...

Yes, if I've learned anything from my condo purchase it is to be patient and look around a bit... but if you are planning on staying a while and like it, it doesn't really matter.

p.s. Do you happen to know of any websites that have an 'environmental action of the week/day'? I'm hoping to create something with a climate change group that's part of the Interfaith Alliance I'm part of...

Lisa