Thursday, July 20, 2006

Am I nervous?

A friend asked me today, "why do you get so nervous sometimes?".

When Egyptians use the word "nervous" in English, it includes "frustrated", "agitated", "upset" and similar words.

So, why am I that way sometimes? Lately, I've been trying to blame it on the heat. But that's not all of it. I could also explain it by saying that even though I'm staying in a nice apartment right now, I feel unsettled b/c I don't know where I'll be living for my last couple of months here. Yes, that's part...

But I think that the biggest thing getting to me right now is that for most of my time here in Egypt, I put the U.S. behind me and concentrated on things here. While doing that, I didn't compare the 2 places unless people asked me specific questions.

Now...I think about America a lot. I think about being back, seeing people, going places, job-hunting, and just living. I'm trying to enjoy things here in Egypt while I am still here, but it's hard right now. It's something like a "senior slump", maybe. It's been a great few years, but now it's coming to an end.

This is bringing up lots of feelings that I've been unconsciously or subconsciously pushing down. It seems like they're starting to come out more often than they should and in negative ways. *frown* I don't like to feel this way or to act the way I do sometimes with friends/students.

I think I just need to remember that I don't have to act this way and that I can change how I express these feelings. Maybe I just need to start talking about how I feel that I am behind on so many things when it comes to American life. Of course, not everything I've missed out on was good, but I think I'm starting to understand the possibilty for a "left behind" feeling when volunteers return after being gone for an extended period of time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please try to enjoy and savor your remaining time with friends and students in Tanta/Cairo. You will miss their kind ways, the slower pace of Egyptians when you return. God has a plan for you, just let yourself listen and follow. We are excited about seeing you this winter, but don't hurry the leaving process.

Mom

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you need to find somebody/some people to express these feelings to. They don't like being bottled up, and it seems like they're coming out in some random ways! And I think it's to be expected that you'd be nervous about your upcoming life changes...

-Lisa

Bart said...

I think it was Linus who once said, "Never jump in a pile of leaves with a wet (lollipop)". Enjoy your lollipop now - the pile of leaves will be there when you're done with the lollipop. But if you try to enjoy the leaves while you're enjoying the lollipop, all you'll end up with is a big mess.

Hang in there dude.

Anonymous said...

I've definitely been feeling the "senior slump" as well. I finished my Master's project, except for some small details, weeks before the semester ended. My Grid Computing class, up until now, hasn't had assignments beyond reading. As a result, I haven't been strongly motivated toward academics. On top of that, by teaching an animation camp at WCC and interviewing (and accepting) a teaching job at MSU, my transition into the next phase of my life is already underway.

That said, I leave a great town and a lot of good griends behind, and it does hurt and bring me down; I'm not sure if it's coming out in any way other than being a bit clingy. Maybe I'll have to watch for other signs...

Good luck with this final stage. I'm sure you'll find the balance that you need.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so honest about your "nervousness" (should we even try to correct it?!) I appreciate the reminder to try to bridge the two cultures while I'm here and feel honored to be able to hear about your journey in doing so. Someone recently told me not to forget that everyone back home has grown and had life experiences, too, so maybe recognizing that won't make you feel quite as isolated. carpe diem, sohabee.