Sunday, June 25, 2006

Food, Glorious (?) Food

One thing about my Palestine/Israel trip. There's a lot to be said, and maybe it's better if people write me with question. Then I'll try to respond here with answers.

A question came from my mother and she asked: “What kinds of foods did you eat while you were there?”

Answer:

Palestine – the only similar food to what they eat in Egypt that I had was falafel. I say similar b/c it's made in a different way and with some different ingredients, but then the process of frying in oil and putting in a sandwich with some veggies and sauce is the same.

Beyond that, the food of Palestine is much like that of Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria. By that, I mean it's much, much better than what we eat in Egypt! *laugh* Garlic and yogurt go along with sandwiches, which is a nice addition. They also have small 8” pieces of bread that are baked and covered with cheese. Great for any meal!

I had sweets just 1 time b/c they were really expensive and most things were the same as in Egypt.


Israel – the only real meal I had there in a restaurant was Thai food. Kosher Thai, of course!

I also had 2 meals in a home when I stayed with a Jewish guy in Tel Aviv. Of all things, he had an Indian-style Chutney from his cousin to have with bread, along with fish. For breakfast, we had omelets.

Aside from that, I ate from the bakeries I talked about in an earlier ent

On a related note, I had the same food for 3 different meals yesterday. Sad, but true! The dish was fuul, which is a very cheap bean in Egypt. You mash them up and eat with bread/veggies, or in a sandwich. For breakfast and lunch, I had bowls of the stuff and then a sandwich for dinner.

And more tonight for dinner. I think I'll take a break tomorrow and get something different!

But this evening, I made a special treat. In my continuing effort to use things up from my apartment before I move (t-minus 5 days), I made a cake from a mix that I brought back from America. I found this nice white cake mix on sale for $.47 and brought back 2 boxes. At that price, it's probably about the same price as what I would pay at my local bakery for a few small cupcakes, but they are a bit heavy and this cake is nice and light. Yummy!

Off to bed. I have to be awake in about 5 hours to play tennis with a friend. He's just learning, so I'll be trying to help him with a couple of things. Mostly it's social. He's someone I met a long time ago, but never really became friends with. Recently, we talked at church and he invited me to play tennis. I'm looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason

We read all your blogs, over and over. Glad there is new news from you. Yum, your favorite dishes.

Keep posting, and we will continue to read.

Mom