Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Cooking? Me? I haven't really been cooking and the topic of what I've been eating is going to be a future journal topic. But I'll write it to you first and then put it in the journal later this week.

At the flat, the extent of my cooking is PB&J sandwiches and grilled pita/cheese sandwiches. I also do scrambled eggs sometimes in the morning, or corn flakes with slices of banana.

When I eat out, the most recent thing I've discovered is "hamburger with egg". It's a fried egg done in a little circle and served on a bun with a small hamburger. One place I've had it just puts on ketchup and a slice of tomato, but tonight I also had some cucumber and green pepper at a different place.

Yes, I'm trying to eat my veggies every now and then. The vegetables and fruits are very flavorful and fresh here. I've never really liked tomato on things, but they're really good here!

I also get "tamaya" fairly often. It's pretty similar to falafel that you'd get in the states. It comes in half a pita with some shredded leafy green stuff added in. With my tamaya, I sometimes get "fuul" (pronounced like "fool". It's fava beans mushed up and served in a pita with veggies.

That stuff is fairly healthful, although pretty heavy in carbohydrates.

Unfortunately, I've also been eating lots of candy. Weird. I'm not a big candy bar person, but I've just been trying the things we don't have in the U.S. There are probably 100 different choices that fall into that category. There are also good little bakeries all around. Last week, I bought a kilo (2.2 pounds) of baklava (called baklawa or golesh here) for 8LE. So that's less than $1.50 U.S. Is there anywhere in Michigan that you could get it for that price?? *laugh* It was really good too. No, I didn't eat all of it. I shared some with classmates, with people at the office, and with Darren.

Strangely enough, I have yet to eat anything with date in it. There are little deserts with date, but I haven't felt like them. I'm really on a chocolate kick right now. (that's "shocolat" in Arabic -- seriously)

No comments: