Wednesday, February 12, 2003


Getting ready to leave for Luxor tonight. My bag isn't packed, but almost everything
is out on my bed.

It rained early this morning!!!!

Unfortunately, it was before I woke up, so I didn't get to see it. Apparently,
this is very unusual to have any rain in February. But I suppose the timing
was good, as the streets were somewhat messy from Tuesday's events.

I should note that people did a very good job of washing out the sidewalks
and streets with water Tuesday evening, but the rain certainly washed
everything away.

Tuesday night, I found a good place for fuul and tamaya. Fuul is sort of a
bean paste put into pita bread with veggies to eat as a sandwich. Tamaya
is very similar to falafel and also served with veggies in a pita. It's
really cheap stuff, yet tasty. For the 2 sandwiches, I paid 1 Egyptian pound
(abbreviated LE). At current exchange rates, that's less than 20 cents!

But the cheap stuff won't be available in Luxor, where I'll be for the next
couple of days. That's definitely a tourist location, with the prices to
match! *sigh* Oh well, it'll be good to be away for a couple of days.
Supposedly, it's warm and sunny during the day. I was told to bring a hat
to block sun, sunglasses, and sunscreen. I'm also taking lip balm with
sunscreen that my Mom got me for Christmas. Thanks Mom!

Not sure what I'll do in Luxor, but I have a guidebook and I'm kinda going
along with my 2 bosses and their young boys. Both boys are around 10. We're
going/coming back on the same train so that'll be good. My language skills
are still lacking, even for asking directions so their help will be nice.

Arabic classes are tough! The tutor I've had the past couple of days is good,
but she didn't waste any time. She introduced all 28 letters in their basic
form on the first day and then went on to how they change when combine with
other letters on day 2. We've gotten into conjugation and conversation, now
as we're up to day 4.

Hopefully my class will be good. It will start on Monday, if enough people
are registered.

Well, battery power is getting low and I don't feel like plugging in
right now so I should go.

No comments: